W.H. Shipman Limited is a kamaʻaina family-owned company established in 1882. The company has 17,000 acres in the Puna District, Hawaiʻi Island. Grounded in island values, the Shipmans have a history of conservation, preservation and community involvement.
W.H. Shipman is engaged in land stewardship, commercial/industrial development and leasing, and agricultural leasing. Shipman properties include farmlands, the W. H. Shipman Business Park and Keaʻau Village in the fast growing Puna District, and Durham Hall Business Park in the SW Portland suburb of Tigard, Oregon.
As a land steward, the company holds a long range-view of sustainability and planned development for balanced community use. The company sees its Keaʻau lands as including a mix of agriculture, commercial, office, industrial, residential and conservation uses with strong municipal and government services. Its business park is a model of what development on its Keaʻau lands will be with wide streets, required plantings and careful building placement. Keaau village’s rebuilding now underway includes a rigorous approach to architecture, balanced development of services and careful land planning.
Engaged in agriculture from its earliest days, W.H. Shipman provides land to “incubate” new agricultural businesses ensuring agricultural diversity and start-up farming, offering strong infrastructure, varied soil types and favorable land license terms in an area blessed by ideal climate conditions and plentiful rainfall.